Dear Shri Narendra Ji Modi!
Corruption has become such a pressing issue that a totally opportunistic new brand of politics has emerged, the politics of corruption. Utopian slogans and shallow zingoism is what the people of India have so far received.
I demand from you, that in your capacity as the Leader of the BJP Election Campaign you impress upon those writing your party’s manifesto, must include in their promises to people, that:
1) Practical solution for efficient governance that is freed from corruption:
a) Immediately as you achieve victory in the forthcoming elections, you shall announce a concrete strategy for bringing at par the compensation of each and every Government servant with the compensations prevailing in the private sector, if not more, within five years. Proper valuation of all perquisites and benefits given to various grades of Government employees, fair bench-marking of total compensation and a modular plan to regularly increase salaries to bring at par with the private sector within five years is the necessary stepping stone for the masses to begin abandoning the path of corruption. This is critical. The zingoism to punish every Government servant and stuff the jails is complete balony, without first guaranteeing a life of dignity where compensation commensurate to the responsibility and accomplishments of tasks is not put in place, first. Punishment works only when the rewards are worth-while. I need my country to acknowledge the fact that a police-man, for an example, must first live a life of dignity and is paid enough to not have a need to sell his pride. Restoration of pride in the roles of governance is critical for good governance. It is pride alone that sustains missions of building families, societies and nations.
b) Balanced with the prospects of fair compensation, stringent application of punishment to any Government servant indulging in any kind of corruption should be instilled across the system in a time bound manner. The Janlokpal or the Lokpal has to be an instrument of strengthening democracy and not an institution beyond democracy.
2) Re-invention and Re-tooling of Judicial process: A country where law of rules and rule of law find the right balance is one, where top-priority must be accorded to provide all the necessary resources of streamlining the process of executing justice. Total computerization of each and every Court as well as police station is now critical. Transparent & timely dispensation of justice will undoubtedly add a significant multiplier in the growth process. Whatever budget is required to achieve a time-bound up-gradation of our Courts & Police Records with total digitization and computerization must be promised right in your Election Manifesto. Don’t worry about where the money will come from as there is much more than enough being wasted in countless adventures.
3) Government shall stick to the business of Governance, only: In the name of economic reforms and divestments, the last decade has been a sad joke. If in one state that you have lead, you could infuse the enthusiasm of the Global Business Community to this degree, a written commitment from you that the Government shall get out of every business, irrespective of profitable or unprofitable, within the first five years and stick only to Governance is critical.
4) Swarn-desh and not just Swadesh : Due to the perilous taxation regime, solution for which I have already written to you in my Open Letter No. 1: Time for Economic Re-invention on 4th July 2013, globalization appears to have potential perils of Multi-National Companies milching away profits from India and taking away our wealth.
However, soon as a tax-regime is brought in place wherein Income will be taxed Flatly at one constant globally competitive rate and Consumption will be taxed at progressively higher rates as a consumer moves his choices from existential to luxuriant, there will be an incentive for every business everywhere in the world to be happier in keeping more profits in India. Thus an open-armed open-door for receiving every business enterprise in this world to come and compete within and beyond India will become practical for India and for the World of Business, together.
Let Swadeshi no longer mean that nepotism, inefficiency, corruption, License-Raj, hoarding & super-profits will be inflicted on our people, any more. Let Swadeshi hereon mean that anyone who is willing to bring capital, talent, skills, technology, know-how and the will to produce income and wealth to make a Swarnim Bharat is welcome! Let opportunities be brought to India and no longer be taken away from us!
5) Value of my Money: When agents of the World Bank come to prevail over Governance, despite the slogan shouting of Economic Reforms and Progress in a decade, the value of the INR has collapsed to an all time low! This is loot, call it by any other name. I am ashamed, in broad daylight my nation is being robbed. A clear written commitment ahead of the Elections is what I need from you that India is not going to be sold for a song, ever again. I need to be assured that the value of our currency will reflect our achievements.
6) Privacy Laws: The right to keep one’s private matters private must be respected. Appropriate legislation must be promised and then implemented that safeguards basic rights to privacy of all the citizens.
My country has been deprived of fairness, professionalism and trustworthy governance for so long that my letters can never be complete. Yet on the same hand, you have inspired back a hope and an implicit promise that Swarnim Bharat ab ho ke rahega. Thus, I shall return back with more letters to you.
With much love and deep respect, seeking a Garvi Bharat!
Post a Comment